Friday, March 26, 2010

Book #24 - have a little faith by Mitch Albom

Wow! I don't know what to say. Mitch Albom stuns me again. Every time I see him on ESPN, I am left in wonder of how he can write such incredible books. After much consideration, I have decided this is his greatest book. Just as when I read Michael J. Fox's book, I am struck with the beauty and wisdom of the Jewish faith. I feel so blessed that through the eyes of Mitch Albom, I got to know his rabbi, pleasantly dubbed Reb. I learned so much about God, kindness, faithfulness, and living life to the happiness measure through this book. Also woven through the story is that of Rev. Henry Covington of Detroit (Christian). It isn't until near the end of the book the stories come together and unite one idea: no matter your religious background, we are here to honor God and through him all things are possible. Through Henry's story, we see the blight of the modern day homeless and the incredible impact of the current economic downturn on the citizens of our country. Just like when I finished "Same Kind of Different as Me," I find myself truly saddened that a country as great as ours cannot afford ALL of its citizens a warm bed, a hot meal, and basic health care services. This book was beautifully written and is filled to the brim with ancient, yet relevant wisdom. I think part of why I find it as Albom's best is because of his shear, raw honesty. To write this book, he took a long hard look at himself, and poured his fears and failures onto paper. I leave you with this discussion that Reb and Mitch were having about whether it was better to be an atheist or feel as though there is a God, but he does not answer your prayers. Albom asks Reb if being an atheist is "worse than an unanswered prayer?" The Reb replies, "Oh yes. It is far more comforting to think God listened and said no, than to think that no body's out there."

No comments:

Post a Comment