Monday, March 8, 2010

Book #18 - Bullying at School by Dan Olweus

I know what you are thinking, random book compared to my other selections. Actually, I'm taking some professional development classes, and this is one of the books I read during the course on Bullying. I have to say, this is an excellent resource for any teacher or administrator. I think part of the reason I found this book so insightful, is that is the entirety of it is based on statistical research. I found some interesting insight about what types of kids become bullies and what types become victims. Children who come from abusive (physically or emotionally) families are very likely to become bullies. Actually, they are simply demonstrating what they are being taught at home. Victims are typically from families where the parents, especially the mother, does everything for them. Also interesting is that it only takes standing up to a bully one time, and the bully will move on to the next kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment