Monday, August 16, 2010

Book #58 - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

This book was thrilling, appalling, scary, captivating, and deeply intricate. Fantastically written, and also extremely well translated into English. Like I told my husband, this is going to be an awesome movie. I can't even begin to describe how deep and twisted the layers of this story are and how intense the different story lines were. It was almost like this book started with three distinct and separate story lines and seemed to have three endings that were all intimately tied together. This was one of the best books I've read in a long time, but I have to say the intensity was such that I'm going to have to take some time off before I start the sequel. There were extremely violent crimes involving women that were so disturbing and really made me think about how horribly women are treated all over the world. Often women are of less value to men than personal belongings, cars, homes, etc. Also weaved into the story line was thread about the financial systems of the world and all of those people making billions playing with money they don't have and betting on the quick sell. Obviously, Stieg Larsson was trying to make a political and personal statement by bringing to light these two very serious issues in Swedish culture and politics...who knows, maybe it led to his mysterious death.

No comments:

Post a Comment