Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Book #49 - The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson

I found this book at Costco in a pile with similar books like "Life of Pi" and thought it might be a winner. The start of the book gives a "History of Elephant" and is really the story of an Elephant, Jenny, brought off a ship in England in the 1700's and Tom, its keeper. This is a beautiful story of dedication and love between man and animal. I loved the description of Jenny, her personality, and her skill. However, mid-book, I began wishing it was over. There were some good parts sprinkled in there, but overall, the author bored me with endless, sad details of Tom's life. Definitely not as good as some of the others I've read this year. I'm just glad I get to move on to something else more captivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment