Saturday, January 29, 2011

Book #79 - House Rules by Jodi Picoult

This was a stunning book on so many levels that I do not even know where to begin. First, I must say that I have never read a book by Jodi Picoult, but I recognized her because there was a movie made about "My Sister's Keeper." As far as the author goes, she is a stunning author that told an incredible story. I know I'm using the word "stunning" a lot, but I cannot think of a better descriptor. This one heck of a mystery that she put together, and it was told in a style where every few pages it was narrate by a different character. Yet with all of the jumping narrators, it was still very easy to follow. It was ingenious to tell this story in this way because the boy accused of murder, Jacob, has Asperger's syndrome. Not only did we get a look into the brain and the thought process that autistic persons of his kind go through, but we also got to experience this syndrome from the eyes of those around him. We got to see into the head of a mother desperate to help him in any way and to bring him as close to socially acceptable as possible. You get to experience the depth and breadth of the sacrifice parents of disabled children make in order to help their children. You also get to see this family dynamic through the eyes of Jacob's younger brother Theo. You get to see the struggles he goes through in trying to separate himself from his brother and yet act as his brother's keeper. The ending shows the incredible lengths that an autistic child will go to tell the truth, stand up for what is right, and follow the rules. I highly recommend this book to anyone...but I think all people who work with and around children should read it because it will greatly impact their response to families who live with autism.

No comments:

Post a Comment