Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Book #76 - God Machine by J.G. Sandom

This book ties the great minds of the Masons like Franklin and daVinci into a thrilling race to create a portal to Heaven. Although I had trouble getting started and hooked on this book, by the time I got about 50 pages in, I was into it. I like the way the author used short chapters to hop between past and present story lines. It was an easy plot to follow even though the stories were told in a fragmented way. There were two big ideas that struck me and stuck with me. First, a lot of the hub-bub surrounding this portal to Heaven was because it gave a way to reunite with our loved ones who had passed on. Ben Franklin (as told by the story) spent his entire life trying to build this machine to be with his deceased son Franky. But after a lifetime of failing, Franklin realized he had lived his entire life focused on the past and never truly living. He had poured all of his energy into his experiments and thus created no relationships with anyone. He realized, like so many do who suffer great loss, there is not value in living in the past. The second point was regarding this idea of a portal to Heaven and thus a direct path to God. In the end, the hero of the story realizes that what God has been trying to tell us since the beginning of time is that we don't need a portal to Him because he is always with us. All we have to do is pray/talk to Him, and we are with Him. I think sometimes it is easy to forget that just because He doesn't always answer our prayers the way we want that He isn't listening. Overall, this was a pretty good book. It wasn't Dan Brown, but overall not bad. Good enough that I'll probably pick up the sequel when it comes out.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind review, Elaine. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You might also want to check out GOSPEL TRUTHS, the first book in the Koster series. And, given your list of Top 5 Favorite Books, you might also want to see if your local library carries KISS ME, I'M DEAD. I have a feeling you'll like it. Both are available on the Kindle as well.

    Best,

    J.G. Sandom

    ReplyDelete