Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Book #26 - The Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Hayhurst

Again, how did it come to my hot little hands, my Dad. He picked this one because it got rave reviews from Keith Olbermann. It was fantastic. This book was an insiders perspective to a season in minor league baseball. Totally intriguing how horribly poor these guys are, and how opposite the minor leagues are from the majors. No glamor, long bus rides, and tons of wasted down time. Dirk Hayhurst is a fantastic writer, and the stories and antics he relayed kept the pages turning. I was cheering for him every time he took the mound! The other part of this that was neat is that during his younger years, my husband was a minor league strength coach. This was way before I came into the picture, and so it is an entire episode in his life that I never experienced. As I read funny parts to him or discussed some of the stories from the locker room, he said that it is all true. This stuff really happens. He warns to anyone thinking of making a career at baseball that if you are uncomfortable with nakedness, this is not the job for you. Excellent job Dirk, and I can't wait for the next book that details your life in the big leagues!!

No comments:

Post a Comment