Sunday, January 3, 2010

A New Year's Project

I have always been addicted to books. For as long as I can remember, I wanted books. My brother and sister are the same way. There was an unwritten rule at our house as children. When we were out shopping with Dad, the answer to everything and anything we wanted him to buy us was always "NO", except for books. EVERY time we asked for a book, Dad would buy us one, and to this day, he still does. I've tried to incorporate this practice into my own family. Not only do I buy books for my son William whenever he sees one he likes, but I try to always stop what I'm doing to read to him when he asks. I hope that he finds joy, adventure, and escape in books just as I have. So this year, I was telling my husband that I would like to try to read 100 books. He thought that was way over the top, but actually, I think I come pretty close to that on a yearly basis. He thought maybe a blog (inspired by Julie and Julia) would be a neat way to catelog what I've read. I do not pretend to be a writer. I am simply a high school science teacher who loves to read and is always looking for more good books. I hope someone out there finds a good book based on what I write. We'll see how far I get on the 100 books...my husband doesn't want it to rule my life, and neither do I.

3 comments:

  1. If you read 100 books that can move your life forward that is a great thing. Which books might matter more than the book number?

    Best of luck in this.

    Tom Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad has a great tradition with my kids of taking them to the Borders bookstore by Vanderbilt every couple of months to replinish their minds and bookshelves! They all enjoy it, especially Emma!

    He has instilled his love of reading in their hearts which is something they will each remember him for when they're older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So have you read Julie and Julia? The movie was excellent!

    ReplyDelete