Monday, August 15, 2011

Book #95 - Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt

So if you are a person that actually follows this blog, you are probably wondering why I've published 4 blogs today. No, I didn't read them all today. I had actually given up on this blog....grown weary for lack of a better word. This blog had become a chore rather than simply a way to express my love of books. But what I now realize is that the problem was not the blog, it was what I was reading. I had not read anything in a month or so that inspired me to write. Obviously, you now get it. This book has inspired me to share...even if it reaches just one curious person. My father gave me this book a few weeks ago with the disclaimer that I wouldn't want to put it down. Just looking at the cover and reading the jacket did not convince me that was the case, but the large type and fairly shortness of it inspired me to get started on it last week. I found that as I got into this book I became invested in it. I deeply cared for the main character...my heart broke with his and also soared with his. The author told the story of a child facing life...it's ups and downs...the struggles with family, friends, and school...and the difficulty of finding one's passions and talents. Mr. Schmidt utilizes a writing style which keeps the reader entertained and always wanting more. The first person perspective made the story all the more compelling. I personally cannot wait to see my father again and grab a couple of Mr. Schmidt's other books. This is the best book I've read in quite awhile. I have only one complaint...I wanted an epilogue. I was dying to know where the characters wind up. I've spent time in the last few days imagining how I wanted their story to end...perhaps that is why he did not include an epilogue...so we would have to finish the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment