Saturday, February 13, 2010

Book #15 - The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

This is an ancient Toltec book of Wisdom that guides the reader to personal freedom, the pursuit of happiness, and acting with love. The book guides us to four agreements for living life: 1. Be impeccable with your word, 2. Don't take anything personally, 3. Don't make assumptions, and 4. Always do your best. I have to say that I found the fourth assumption the easiest, and that is the one in which the author says unites the other three. So, with Lent starting on Wednesday, I am going to spend my forty days working on the first three. I am going to make a conscious effort to eliminate the negative things I say. I'm going to each day wake with the attitude that I will not try to hurt people with my words nor gossip about them behind their back. I'm going to try to encourage and love people with my words. Like the author said, they are the most powerful weapon we have got. Second, I am going to focus on not taking what people say or do personal. Their words and actions are simply a reflection of how they are feeling. This has been very difficult for me. Being a teacher, we often only hear from parents the negative and rarely the positive. In the next 40 days, when I get a negative email telling me how it is my fault a child is not successful, I vow to not take it personally. I am going to detach from the emotion of the situation, take a deep breath, and then give the parent some reasonable advice. And then, to practice #1, I won't turn around and talk about that parent to my family and friends. I don't feel like I make many assumptions, but I am going to try to remain conscious of it. As I have matured and become more self-confident in life, I think the assumptions and trying to speculate what people think of you go by the wayside. I have to say that this book didn't have a life changing impact on me. Perhaps it is because I already strive to live my life free from the stigma and pressures of society. For the last 5-6 years, I have been beating to my own drum. I leave you with this mantra, "I'm going to be myself. No longer am I going to run my life trying to please other people. No longer am I going to be afraid of what they think about me. What do I care what others think if I am going to die in one week? I'm going to be myself."

No comments:

Post a Comment