Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Book #39 - The Poet Prince by Kathleen McGowan

Riveting. I've never used that word before in describing a book, but this one is truly riveting. This is the third book in "The Magdalene Line" series, and lucky for us, she's already in the works for a 4th (the role of Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII). Kathleen McGowan is a fantastic story teller. She has woven an adventure of the current day Order of the Holy Sepulcher (the original followers of Christ who have stuck to his teachings of love) and a look at the history, art, and corruption of the Renaissance. The Medici family nurtured the greatest artists of this time including Botticelli and Michelangelo, and according to this author struggled and sacrificed to pass on the ancient teachings and capture them in great works of art. This was a heart-racing page turner that I literally could not ingest fast enough. I found that I couldn't even comprehend or internalize the amount of information that the author provided to me, but with that being said, I did not miss anything in the translation. I could read this book 10 times and not stop learning. I only wish I could remember more of what I learned in my high school Art History class; lucky for me there is an artist in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment